Everybody wants a clean, nice-looking hardwood floor. But learning how to clean it is essential for protecting and maintaining your beautiful investment.There are so many cleaning products and methods available on the market; finding the right one can be overwhelming.
Here are some tips to ensure you clean your hardwood floors the right way.
1. Choosing the right hardwood floor cleaner
Good hardwood floor cleaner choice
– Our #1 recommendation is to use Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner. It’s residue free and it’s safe for family, pets and the environment.
– Always make sure to use a hardwood-recommended cleaner. Your hardwood floor cleaner should be non-abrasive and easy to use. It should not leave any trace or residue behind and should require no rinsing. It should be quick drying, with no VOCs.
Bad hardwood floor cleaner choice
– Never use liquid or paste wax, oil-based detergent, vinyl or tile cleaning products, surfactant detergents, any general-purpose household cleanser or other household products containing lemon, citrus, Tung vinegar, oil or silicon to clean your hardwood floor. These can dull and damage the finish, or leave a greasy film and make your hardwood floor slippery and more difficult to clean.
– Do not use 2-in-1 cleaners that contain acrylics or urethane polish to restore gloss.
– Stay away from harsh cleaning aids such as steel wool pads, scouring pads containing metal, or scouring powders. These can dull and damage the finish of your hardwood floor.
– Never use a wet mop or steam mop on your hardwood floor. Water and steam can dull the finish and even damage the wood. Steam cleaners put heat and excessive water on your wood floor, which can lead to cupping and long-term damage.
2. Regular hardwood floor cleaning routine
Daily sweep: Sweep your hardwood floor to remove loose dust and grit.
Weekly vacuum: Vacuum your hardwood floor with a soft-bristled attachment or broom, especially in high-traffic areas. Do not use vacuums with a beater bar or power rotary brush head. Vacuuming prevents gritty dirt and particle buildup that can scratch the wood’s surface.
Monthly clean: Clean your hardwood floor using a hardwood-recommended cleanser and a mop paired with a machine washable, microfiber pad for dusting and cleaning. Electrostatic action attracts dirt, micro particles and common household allergens.
When cleaning your hardwood floor, you should:
1. Sweep or vacuum your wood floor.
2. Spray a small quantity of your wood floor cleaner onto your microfiber mop. Never pour cleaner directly onto your hardwood floor.
3. Swipe your floor.
4. Excess cleaner that does not evaporate immediately should be dried with a clean towel. No rinsing necessary.
3. Special hardwood floor cleaning situation
Tough stains: Caused by food, water, animals, grease, crayons, ink spots, rubber heel marks:
– Spray your wood floor cleaner onto your microfiber cloth.
– Wipe the area clean.
Chewing gum and candle wax:
1. Apply a sealed plastic bag filled with ice over the gum or wax to harden the substance.
2. Wait until the gum or wax becomes brittle enough to crumble off.
3. Gently scrape with a plastic scraper or credit card until it is completely removed.
4. Spray your wood floor cleaner onto your microfiber cloth.
5. Wipe the area clean.
Following these few simple cleaning tips will ensure your Lauzon hardwood floor stays beautiful for years to come.